Wednesday, February 24, 2010

data visualization

So basically I ADORE data visualizations.  Why, you ask?  They're the perfect mixture of scientific analysis and information design.  I mean, besides being neat, informative, and practical some of them are just plain beautiful. 

 
Talk about a spirograph on steroids, but I love it.  
I could spend hours looking at all the different kinds (and I have) and I have such respect for the people who write the complex programming and algorithms that allow any user to input data only to have this diagnostic art spit back out for them in seconds.  

Some good examples I've found today are Visual Complexity which has a nice gallery and Web Designer Depot's 50 Great Examples of Data Visualization just to give you a taste.  I also love Many Eyes to death and I've used it for projects in the past.  

I'm thinking about maybe incorporating some of these into my next set of posters since many of them use a radial design.  But for now, I'm perfectly content just admiring them.  :]

No comments: